Tacos are a popular food item, and for a good reason – they’re versatile, delicious, and easy to customize. But if you’re looking for a vegan-friendly alternative to the traditional meat filling, have you considered using jackfruit? This tropical fruit, native to Southeast Asia, has a texture when cooked that is similar to shredded meat, making it an excellent choice for vegan and vegetarian dishes.
For this recipe, we pair jackfruit with grilled shrimp and fresh salsa, creating a combination that will tantalize your taste buds. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 can of young jackfruit in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 small corn tortillas
- Lime wedges for serving
For the salsa
- 1 cup of diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Mix the olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Toss the shrimp in the spice mixture until they’re coated.
- Cut the jackfruit into smaller pieces using a sharp knife, removing any seeds or tough parts.
- Place the jackfruit pieces on a sheet of foil and grill for 5-7 minutes, flipping occasionally, until lightly charred.
- Place the shrimp on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until they turn pink and are cooked through.
- While the shrimp and jackfruit are cooking, prepare the salsa. Mix the diced pineapple, red onion, red bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Warm the tortillas on the grill for 10-15 seconds per side.
- Add a spoonful of jackfruit to each tortilla to assemble the tacos, followed by a few grilled shrimp. Top with the pineapple salsa and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
These Jackfruit Salsa Grilled Shrimp Tacos are an exciting twist on traditional tacos. They’re perfect for a summer barbecue or a quick weeknight dinner. Combining sweet and savory flavors and textures will keep you returning for more.
What is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that is native to Southeast Asia. When cooked, it has a fibrous, meat-like texture, making it a popular meat alternative in vegan and vegetarian dishes.
Where can I buy young jackfruit?
Canned young jackfruit can be found in most grocery stores, usually in the Asian or international foods section.
Can I use frozen shrimp instead of fresh?
Yes, frozen shrimp can be used instead of fresh. Just make sure to thaw them completely before grilling.
Can I use a different type of salsa?
You can use your favorite type of salsa or create your own. The recipe is flexible and can be customized to your taste preferences.
Can I make these tacos ahead of time?
The jackfruit and shrimp can be grilled beforehand, but the tacos are best assembled before serving to prevent the tortillas from becoming soggy.
Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas?
Yes, flour tortillas can be used instead of corn tortillas, but they will have a different texture and flavor. Corn tortillas are recommended for this recipe as they contrast the grilled shrimp and jackfruit.